Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Mighty Ginkgo Tree (full story)




The first experience I had with the Ginkgo tree was back in fall of 1968 on Liberty Island.  My parents and I were exploring the Statue of Liberty when they decided to leave their 8-year-old daughter at Lady Liberty’s feet.  (That’s how far the elevator went up then.)  My parents knew that somewhere along the long, spiraling stairwell climb, my fear of heights would kick in and they would have to turn back… so they came up with this grand idea of…LEAVING ME!  Of course, at 8, I thought I was an adult anyway, so it was no big deal. (Now a mother and grandmother myself, I would have to be dead to leave my child or grandchild alone at Lady Liberty’s feet…or any other such place!)

So soon after my parents took off on their climb, I took off to scout all I could see on the twelve acre, little island and that is when I discovered an unusually shaped, thick leaf of the Ginkgo tree.  I stuck one in my pocket to learn more about it later.
The Ginkgo tree is millions of years old and holds many health benefits for skin, hair and memory.  Although the Ginkgo tree is said to have originated in China, the world’s largest, commercial planting of these trees is in South Carolina, where millions of Ginkgo trees are planted.

Ginkgo trees grow best in Zones 5 – 8, but can grow in Zones 3 – 9 and need a lot of sun.  They come in several varieties that will suit your back yard.  Some varieties are tall while some are available in dwarf, but all spread a bit and grow slowly.  In the fall, they do produce a type of fruit that is not too noticeable, but will require some clean up.  There are nursery varieties that are created to be “fruitless”.   In the fall, the Ginkgo tree’s leaves change to a vivid yellow – adding a delight to any garden.

Photo Credit:

2 comments: