Sunday, July 12, 2015

Kelley Richey: More Than a Rock Star Baby!



More Than Just Rock-Star, Baby!

Kelly Richey is more than just a “Blues based rock guitarist,” as she describes herself.  Her complexity and faceted lifestyle with years of refining through thousands of hours of practice and hard work, has produced a diamond of a rock star!

Legendary Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan have inspired Richey as a young guitarist in the mid-70s.  “Tom Jones was the wildest thing in my parents record collection!” she chuckled, “But I loved rock-n-roll from the moment I heard it.  Then I discovered Jimi Hendrix, and I wanted to play like him!”  Now, many years later, master guitarist, Richey, sounds like her idols of years past.  In fact, if you close your eyes, and just compare the sweet guitar riffs of the Hendrix, Vaughan and Richey, you would be hard pressed to tell a difference.

Then, there’s her voice…reminiscent of Janis Joplin! Strong, edgy yet passionate with a coarseness that instantly captivates her audience, as if her guitar skills weren’t enough.

Lexington born, and a Cincinnati based, Richey’s love of the blues started when the church her and her family attended burned to the ground.  Their church integrated with the African-American church.  “Our churches would hold revivals together.  So I saw at an early age the differences in the gospel music.  I attribute my love of Blues-Rock to my early childhood.”  Richey explained about her dedication of those formative years, “I practiced 12 to 16 hours a day when I first started out.  You didn’t see me without a guitar in my hand. Period! Then later, I still practiced 6 to 10 hours a day.  You have to put the time in to master something.”  Richey has taught guitar lessons for most of her career.  Today she has many video classes as well as skype classes with students around the world.  She said of talent, “I find talent is a very small portion of anything.  Passion and hard work is what it takes to be successful.”

In the mid-80s, she played with Stealin’ Horses.  By 1990, she started the Kelly Richey Band.  “I knew I had to pick a music that I could play forever.  Blues was on the rise with Bonnie Raitt and Eric Clapton, making bluesy rock more popular.  So I decided to play the blues – but I always played it with a rock edge.”

Richey this year has cut the concerts on the road with the band down to 20 really great shows.  “Normally, I do upwards of a hundred.  But I’m starting to play a lot of solo shows. This is not to replace the band, but to have the mobility to travel by myself, so that I can play any gig that comes up anywhere.”  Richey has an album to be released later this year.  “I want to play music that I am passionate about!  I don’t want to be all things to all people.  I want to be who I am.”

But that’s not all for this rock star… she also is a certified life-coach, and training to become a facilitator for writing workshops.  “All the pieces of my life are starting to fit together nicely.  I enjoy teaching and building connections!”

“When inspiration strikes, honor it!  Stop what you are doing and capture it!  Because if you don’t, you’ll lose it!”  For more information about Kelly Richey and/or learn how to play guitar from a master, check out her website:  kellyrichey.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment